Mobile marketing used to refer to advertising on a mobile billboard, or on a vehicle. Nowadays, of course, it usually means marketing using mobile phones.
Mobile marketing is one of the fastest growing sectors of the online marketing industry, because of the ubiquitous presence of mobile phones.
Mobile marketing is an umbrella term. Here are some aspects of mobile marketing:
1. Text messaging/SMS advertising – SMS messages are sent to a list of cell phone numbers.
2. Push advertising – pay-per-click advertisements are shown on mobile applications (‘apps’)
3. Mobile coupons – an advertiser creates coupons which are displayed on the customer’s mobile phone.
4. 2D Barcodes – these allow customers to quickly access coupons, websites etc using their mobile phone
5. Mobile ready websites – traditional websites may display poorly on mobile phones